Tuesday 1 September 2015

Out and About: Winelands Chocolate Festival 2015



You really can’t go wrong with wine and it’s even more difficult to do so with chocolate. This is why a festival dedicated to these two things is a great idea. Chocolate and wine is by far a much better love story than Twilight. Almost exactly a month ago I got to be part of this love story at the 2015 Winelands Chocolate Festival at the beautiful Lourensford Wine Estate in Somerset West, which is part of the Stellenbosch Wine Route. The festival took place from 25 to 26 July. I am in love with the Cape Winelands and visiting the various wine estates is one of my favourite things to do. The Lourensford Wine Estate is one of the more beautiful wine farms and provided a lovely gathering place for lovers of chocolate from all around the country.



My lovable friend and I went on Sunday, the second and last day of the event. Though the weather looked like it was leaning more towards the miserable end of things I jumped into my friend’s trusty ol’ Corsa Lite (or the Erin-mobile, as I like to call it) and off to Somerset West we went with a song in our hearts and chocolate and wine on our minds. The weather turned out to be quite mild and lovely by the time we arrived at the venue and we were immediately taken in by the bustle of chocolate aficionados walking around and stopping at the various stands to nibble on some chocolate and chat to the masters of chocolate behind the beautiful and tasty heaps of chocolate goodness on display everywhere. I am a sucker for chocolate fountains and those bad boys were on display everywhere. You’d think my friends call me Chocolate Charlie because of the hue of my skin but, no, Sir, you’d be wrong! They call me Chocolate Charlie because I’m a sucker for chocolate fountains. Exhibitors at the festival included chocolatiers like Alexander Avery, Chocolat Frey, Gayleen’s Decadence, Honest Chocolates (who does not love chocolate that does not lie to you?), LINDT (a brand that we all know and love) and My Sugar. There were loads of other chocolatiers in the mix and everyone had a really good showing.

The food wasn’t to be scoffed at either. There was some mean grub available from the restaurant, Bistro 13 and three great food trucks. I you wanted some coffee Origin was on hand to sort you out and the Tipsy Gypsy Art Bar looked after you needs in terms of drinkables


We had a great time at the Winelands Chocolate Festival. It was just amazing soaking up the sun, drinking wine, tasting and buying a whole lot of chocolate. The venue was just spectacular and the people were all lovely. This festival definitely goes onto my annual calendar of things to do. It was also lovely to receive a free gift in the form of a digital gift voucher for Yuppiechef.com’s Indulgent Chocolate Creations course in my email box a few days after the festival.

No comments: