Monday 21 October 2019

Occasional Letters to Death #3 / Letters to God #8 / Chill Sessions with Joy #1

"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."
- Sir Philip Sidney

Hello,

Death, God, Joy,

Remember me? It's been a while since I wrote to you last. I apologise. Life happened. I should be thankful for Life, I guess.

Death, you've been sticking quite close to me these last years. I won't even front, your call has been very enticing and I'm hoping to find a way to stave you off a while by writing these letters. I'm trying for that Drake More Life kind of thing.

God, how are you? I sure have strayed far from the flock. I've been busy being woke. So, no time to talk when I don't even know if I believe. The prodigal son returns it would seem.

Joy, I've been very far from you, indeed. You think it would be okay if we talk every now and then?

"Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show"

I'm 32 now! I've has some success and just a whole lot of failure. I got married. In that time I've caused my wife more tears than laughter.  I miss laughter. I became part of a team writing children's books. That fell apart. I joined a team working on some EduTech software. That relationship fell apart. Life's been hard but I really want to change that for the better. So, I'm thinking that I need to sit down and put my thoughts to paper, make that commitment.

I want to fall in love with Life. I'm hoping that turning to verse or, rather, turning to the written word in general, I can explore that love in fall deeper into it in the process. I'm 32 now and can feel that this living in the light of past mistakes isn't working out for me. I need to do better and to be better.

I've picked up my pen again and hope that these sessions with all of you result in me being a better person.

Let's talk again, right? This is good, right?

Charles

No comments: