Wednesday 21 January 2009

The Change We Need



"What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Yesterday was a monumental day in the history of our planet – the inauguration of Barak Obama as the 44th president of the US of A and the formatting of my hard drive. President Obama promises to be a breath of fresh air in the world's polluted political landscape and my hard drive just needed some spring cleaning. Whether you like it or not, the US is the nation that we all look up to as the standard of wealth and prosperity. As the guiding light of the world the US is always under the scrutiny of critics and when they become a fallen people the world is catapulted into doom and gloom.

Yesterday Obama promised the American population the change (for the better) that they need and my PC seemed to think that it too needed a certain change, a fresh installation of Windows XP. I was trying to install the Windows 7 Beta and I forgot to back up some of my data, only to have W7 crash halfway through the installation. I did what any person who is unhealthily attached to their PC would do, I cried. It would have been better if I'd been dumped by a girl. Luckily, though, I'm of the same stock as the lovely (and somewhat imaginary) Mrs Lorrie Tock, I'm an indefatigable optimist. I'm always cheerful, come crashing PCs or gun toting clowns – the latter being quite disturbing and potentially fatal.

As the world watched and listened in awe as President Obama delivered his inauguration speech promising Americans (and the world to a lesser extent) the change that we need I was installing Windows XP onto my PC and giving it the change it so desperately needed.

I wish President Obama a wonderful and successful term in office and may his bright vision inspire each and every one of us to become better human beings.

P.S. Remember kids, change is an important and necessary part of life – especially when it comes to things like underwear.

P.P.S. Is it just me or does Obama sound a little like Morpheus?

"I believe it is our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe this night holds, for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives. This is a war and we are soldiers. What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?" - Morpheus, The Matrix

No comments: