Thursday 24 April 2008

Mobile Horror Stories

My noodle is pretty much fried by this book I'm reading. It's like being in the Twilight Zone... I leave home in the morning and jump on the bus which allows me approximately 45 minutes to read, which translates into about two or three stories that I get to read and thus my bus rides become all murky and people I know on the bus quickly look away if I happen to spot them staring at me - it's quite amusing. I remember reading Stephen King's Skeleton Crew (I see The Mist has been turned into a movie, and a good one too I'm told) and a few of the stories freaked me out but this is different... most of the stories in here are disturbing in a way that leaves you agitated as opposed to outright horrified. Last night I was outside in the yard filling a bucket with water when I kept looking over my shoulder worrying about weird guys with teeth filed to points and the darkness being sinister. I ended up only half filling the bucket and scurrying back inside the house. The stories have lodged themselves firmly in the dark corners of my mind and once in a while they pop up to harass me. You'd think that I'd stop reading the book after all of this... but I can't, it's like crack cocaine, I have to keep getting more. One of the stories in the book is titled The Ropy Thing; the ropy thing just keeps consuming everything until there's nothing left. That's how it is with me and these stories, I'm just going to keep reading until there's no more... and then what? I might go insane! That's how good this book is. If you can get your hands on it, do so. I think I'm in love... .
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it. - a joke I read

No comments: